Wednesday, August 27, 2008

a peek into the life of an International student…in America

Wo bu zhi dao, shi zai na li,” (in English meaning:”I don’t know where it is”) was the speech I heard from a tall, Chinese-looking student on the phone as he was walking down the sidewalk on Purdue’s campus. Somewhat taken aback because I felt as if I was back in China, I intentionally shortened my strides a bit. I gathered that he was on his way to the library but didn’t know where it was. After he got off the phone I asked him if I could help him and then, speaking Chinese asked where he was from. In hearing the Chinese he quickly taken aback and asked if I spoke Chinese (always a funny question given I just spoke a couple lines of Chinese to him). After helping direct him to the right place on campus, after talking to this guy for less than 5 minutes, I was asked for my phone number so we could hang out some time. Interested in finding opportunities to speak Chinese myself, I gladly gave it to him, but mentioned I was going to leave the area in just a few days.

Luckily the next day I wasn’t very busy, so we were able to connect with him in the afternoon. We talked for quite a while in his new apartment, absolutely bare except for his laptop (within his first 4 days in the US he had already bought a new one since the US is the cheapest place in the world to buy them, please friends, no complaining), a bag of Oreos, and an opened suitcase filled with clothes and food from his hometown, in Jilin province in Northeast China. It was an apartment for 3, but since classes didn’t start for a few more days, both of his roommates, whom he hadn’t the slightest notion who they would be, still had not arrived. As we began talking it wasn’t too long before he attempted to turn on the air conditioner, quickly asking me what a reasonable temperature was since he had never heard of Fahrenheit before. Also before we left his apartment he was sure to give me several plastic packages of dried squid (not fresh of course, but dried, salty and crunchy fishy-flavored goodness) and a few small Mooncakes. Both of these were special foods from his hometown in China that his mom, like any Chinese mom, or as I think about it any mom anywhere, would give his son before he takes off to the other side of the world.

Jack was only a sophomore college student abroad for just one semester. Studying architectural design, this opportunity he had to study in the US was possibly once in a lifetime. One that he said he would take advantage of by seeking to understand more of American’s open-mindedness and views about the world. One where he’d travel from East coast to West coast, visiting landmarks and buying what he deemed to be better quality technological and acoustic equipment for his band. Ultimately though I was seeing by all the uncertainties and questions on his mind, a step into the unknown.

I glanced at his class schedule filled with abbreviations which was all Greek to him. So, I offered a few words of wisdom on the classes that might be more difficult or rather simple. Then he asked about the computer he bought online and whether or not he had to call the company after it was delivered to him. That’s what you do in China, he had no idea if you did the same here. I listened to him and a group of other Chinese students that evening share their fears about how they talk to Westerners. What if they don’t understand what I’m trying to say? What if I totally miss the meaning of their answer? What about all that slang they use? Do they really laugh after everything they say and is it really that funny? Language especially is a very difficult thing that I didn’t personally realize how fast, culturally-specific, and idiom-filled it was until I was in China and began speaking to my American friends while my Chinese friends were present. Even someone who speaks fluent English but hasn’t been in an atmosphere of those who speak like college students do, might not have a clue what the meaning is. And when they don’t how encouraging are we as Americans to move to that person’s level and explain it in words that person will understand?

We talked for a couple hours, first in Chinese and then both realizing his English was better than my Chinese, in English. We talked about life, sports, food, technology, and faith. Honestly, not too much unlike my time in China except with the roles reversed. Instead of my Chinese friends wanting to look after me to make sure I knew where things were and that I was safe, I felt the same kind of responsibility for him. It was amazing to me as I pondered, “This guy is coming over here taking classes just like any other freshman here at Purdue. He’s got a class schedule, orientation, apartment, and buying books and gadgets just like I was my first year at college. He isn’t really that unique anymore. That’s just part of what society looks like today. And yeah, why not go travel and see different sights of interest in the US, maybe it’ll be his only chance.”

He is one of 800 Chinese students at Purdue and one of tens of thousands that comes over every year, or every 4 years since many attend all 4 years in the US. And though China is the largest country with possibly the most students, there are dozens of other countries with similar motivations and programs.

We also went back to my friend’s house to hang out for a while and Jack’s curiosity in the house included anything and everything. All the pictures and awards on the wall, couches on which we sat, and size of…well, everything. Jack was lucky, in the fact that he had been in the US for less than a week and had already been in an American home. Something the majority of students never get to see in the 4 or more years in which they study in America.

I couldn’t help but think how many more “Jack”’s there were around the world. Students who were leaving their home countries and cultures in search of a better education and way of life in the West. You here how common it is today and that over 80% of Chinese students who come over to work/study never return. But what effect does that have on the economy? I’m sure it pushes, or should push, the average American to be more dedicated in their studies since the competition gets stiffer, especially in disciplines of hard sciences and technology. Its great that students from abroad are coming here, working in Western companies, and primarily benefiting our economy. But it almost doesn’t seem fair to their home countries. Isn’t it great that many people desire to come to my home country of the US for under- and post-graduate studies. When might come a time when there will actually be better opportunities educationally and vocationally in one’s home country?

And what should our response be as Americans to this? And as a child of the King? Will we welcome them with open arms and share our culture and lives with them or will we have feelings of competition or anger for the jobs they might take or awards they will win. I’m not trying to open a huge can of worms or suggest any real changes that should be made. I am hinting that the America of the 21st century will truly become a continually larger global society. I’m also pointing out the realities of what life is like for one, “Jack”, and many others who leave their home countries in search of a brighter future elsewhere. Will they find that future that gives them that much sought after joy and satisfaction? Or only be in a neverending competitive fight with the next one who’s smarter and richer. In so doing sacrifice much in familial, relational, and social aspects of life that they will look back and say 50 years from now, despite the increased material rewards, and say that it actually wasn’t really worth it? And what impact will you have in them going through that process?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's great that you are able to make these connections. I have been trying to learn Mandarin (I can speak Cantonese and some spoken Mandarin) mainly going to online resources like www.zhongwenred.com but lately I have been thinking of taking the plunge and just studying in China for a year.